Sunday 8 July 2012

Retirement Blues

After my retirement from service, I rescheduled my routine to spend the time as I like. There were no targets to be reached, budget to be achieved, customer to be wooed, boss to be satisfied and subordinates to be cajoled. I thought for a while that I am the boss and nobody can beat me. But believe me, I was wrong. I had a super boss whom I had not noticed. Yes! You guessed it correctly. My wife! She ordered me to get up early in the morning to go for a walk to keep my tummy in shape. Thus my dream of early morning sleep was shattered. With much reluctance and resistance I started walking.


While returning home I am not supposed to come empty handed. Milk booth will be open by that time and fresh milk is very good for tasty coffee. Fresh vegetables are available road side and they are good for health. You can't ignore the advice. Gradually this duty and responsibility was thrust on me.

Reading news papers in detail was not possible while in service. I used to glance head lines and finish reading. I enjoy reading news papers thoroughly. My habit is to read before bath and I will be dreaming about one more dose of coffee before going to bath. There comes a reprimand. It is already getting late. Why can't you go to bath? No coffee, nothing else unless you finish your bath. No second dose of coffee before breakfast!

These days it is very difficult to travel in auto-rickshaws. You can't afford to travel by auto particularly after retirement. Hence, I took up the role of driver whenever my wife wanted to go out for shopping, visits etc. Anyway, I had lot of time at my disposal and this new job helped me in spending time. Without this what will I do sitting idle at home?

I had missed a lot of marriages, upanayanams, chowlas, other religious and non religious functions held at our relatives’ families during my service at the bank. Now there is no excuse. I have made it a point to attend all the functions wherever I am invited. I have already added 12 kilos to my over weighing body. I am hopeful of adding 10 more kilos during this season!

I thought, I can watch the channel of my choice on the TV and spend some time. But where is the remote? It is always either with my wife or father. I had to be content watching a lot of ads and I am finding them to be more interesting than the main serial.

As I am at home, I have to voluntarily take to daily chores on occasions. You can't close your eyes and escape. I am inclined to believe that such occasions are slowly increasing and I am enjoying the new responsibility.

Some of my friends suggested me to take up online trading activity, from which, you can earn a lot and spend a good time. Some how this idea never went into my mind and I am not able to understand the intricacies of trading. It is very difficult for me to understand the economics.

Some of my friends are re-employed and earning salary equivalent to their pre-retirement salary in addition to their pension. As I am lazy by nature, seeking re-employment is also not capturing my attention.

As my super boss has entrusted me some work, I will stop at this and come back to you through my next blog.

Image Courtesy: http://www.veryfunnypics.com

1 comment:

  1. Sooper cool uncle :-) nice blog ... while i read it i was laughing picturising your new Hitler boss :-) aunty at her best :-). Don't take up new jobs to make money... rather take up something which gives immense satisfaction how about teaching kids? Lots of anganvadi schools need good teachers.

    ReplyDelete